QUALIFICATION FOR GROOVE WELD POSITION 3G AS PER ASME 1X
- Welding Process. SMAW
- Vertical Progression. Up
- Joint Type. Butt
- Backing. Yes
- Backing Material. ASTM A36
- Root Opening. 1/4 to 5/16
- Grove Angel. 45 degrees
- Back Gouge. No
- Base Metal. ASTM A36
- Type or Grade. Steel
- Thickness. Groove. (in) .375
- Filler Metals AWS Specification. A5.1
- Filler Metals AWS Classification. E7018
- Electrode Diameter. 1/8
- Amps. 90 to 140
- Electrode Characteristics Current. DCEP
- Shielding Electrode Flux (class). 4
- Stringer or Weave. Either
- Multi-Pass or Single Pass (per side). Multiple
- Interpass Cleaning. Mechanical or Wire Brush
1. Grind all hot roll scale adjacent to the bevel, 1” on the front and ¼” back side of the test plate.
2. Grind off all oxidation on the bevel to bare metal. Re-check the bevel angle for the correct angle.
3. Grind all the hot scale off the backing bar to clean metal.
4. The inspector will check the preparation before fitting-up test pieces.
5. After the fit-up is completed the inspector will check all the fit-up specifications
6. Now the test will be placed in the fixed position. The test piece will be marked in position with a marker and the inspector may see the test anytime during the testing. (DURING THE TEST, THE PIECES SHALL NOT BE MOVED IN ANY DIRECTION AND OR REMOVED FROM THE TESTING PLACE WITHOUT THE INSPECTORS APPROVAL.)
7. The root pace shall be inspected.
8. Required temperatures. for example ASTM A36, 1/8” to ¾” thick base metal. Minimum preheat and interpass temperatures shall be as follows. When the base temperatures is below 32 degrees, the base metal shall be preheated to a minimum of 70 degrees and the minimum interpass temperature shall be maintained during welding.